Eating well during your pregnancy helps your baby to develop and
has health benefits for you.
The basics of healthy eating still apply during your pregnancy, but there are certain nutrients you’ll need more of and certain foods you should avoid. Use our
food calculator to check what kinds of food you should be eating every day.
Programs to help you
Get Healthy in Pregnancy is a free and confidential information and telephone coaching service for pregnant women in New South Wales aged 16 years and over.
This program can step you through all the information you need to know about staying healthy during and after your pregnancy. You can have information sent to you and have a university qualified personal health coach available to help you make healthy lifestyle changes.
You can receive up to 13 free calls over a 6 month period to help you make healthy lifestyle changes. Your health coach could help you to:
- Eat healthily
- Get active and stay active
- Achieve a healthy weight gain in pregnancy
- Not drink alcohol during your pregnancy
Benefits of eating healthily and being active during pregnancy:
- Better sleep
- Less lower back pain
- Less nausea and heart pain
- Better bowel habits
- More energy
- Feel less stressed or anxious
- A shorter, easier and more active labour
- Easier to return to your pre-pregnancy fitness and weight.